After experimenting with different wicking materials such as silica, mesh, hemp, and rayon, most vapers have come to an agreement that cotton is the best wicking material on the market.
However, since many brands have made many of their own cotton wicking products available, it is difficult to determine which of these products are actually the best. Users try out more expensive cotton wicking materials in hopes that they will give the best result, but that is not always the case.
Users can have the best wicking skills and types of tanks and still struggle to find the best cotton for their tanks, creating a growing confusion regarding the highest-quality products.
Does the choice of cotton matter?
Wicks are a very important part of a vaping system. Vape coils wrap around the wick which then absorb the e-juices for smooth wicking. Generally, you want to look for wicks that absorb e-juices best. There are many types of wicks, and you have to choose the best one to fit your needs.
If you are using a low wattage MTL device, you could have a good vaping experience by using cotton pads. When using low-resistance coils, you could benefit from heat-resistant wicks, like Cotton Bacon wicks. For practical reasons, pre-built wicks are also a popular choice.
Another important factor is the processing of your cotton. Some vaping companies put their cotton wicks through multiple purification processes to remove any potentially harmful chemicals. Other companies use completely organic cotton, usually from Japan, for a clean and usable vape wick.
The type of wick you use will depend on your vaping device. It is also important to choose cotton that is best for your health (organic or highly processed cotton are the best options). To really taste the flavour of your e-juice, you require good cotton, otherwise it will taste off and flavourless.
What makes the best cotton for RDAs and RTAs?
When choosing the right wicking cotton for your vape, your choice will greatly depend on whether your device has an RDA or RTA system. Rebuildable Dripping Atomisers (RDAs) allow you to directly drip your e-liquid into your wick. Rebuildable Tank Atomisers (RTAs) have tanks that hold your e-liquid.
Organic cotton balls are the most popular choice for users with RDA devices. RTA device users also opt for organic cotton, with pre-built wicks being the preferred option.
How to wick and prime a coil the right way
You can follow these steps to prime your coil properly:
- Attach your new atomiser coil – After disposing of your old coil, screw in your new one. If you screw your coil on after saturating your wick, it is much easier to spill your vape juice.
- Saturate your wick – Locate the juice holes on your atomiser head where the wick comes into contact with the e-liquid. Some coils are designed to have the cotton stick out of its holes where others have the wick at the back of their atomiser. Either way, your wicking material will be easily exposed, and you can add your e-juice to saturate the wick. Once your cotton does not immediately absorb your e-liquid any more, you know the wick is properly saturated.
- Take a few dry hits – After filling and reassembling your tank, it is time to attach your battery. Take 4 to 5 dry hits; do not activate your battery’s fire button. This allows your juice to syphon from your tank and into your cotton wick. Do not take strong hits as this could flood your coil. You could also simply let your tank stand for a few minutes to maximise absorption.
- Break in your coil – Since your coil’s wire expands when heated and contracts once it cools down, you should gradually break your wire in as well. Use your new coil at a lower wattage and gradually increase the wattage to your normal setting. Do not excessively heat your wire, take some shorter drags to properly prime your coil and cotton.
- Enjoy the experience – After properly priming your coil and cotton, it’s time to enjoy your vaping experience with great flavor and easy hits.
The best vape cotton
You do not have to spend copious amounts of money on cotton to get the best experience. Some cost-effective and high-quality vape cottons include:
Cotton Bacon Prime
Cotton Bacon Prime is one of the best wicking products out there. This product has the best wicking capabilities when compared to other wicking products on the market. Being perfect for squonking and use in rebuildable deck tanks, this product is easily one of the best choices.
- 33% faster absorption
- Easier cotton separation
- A clean and user-friendly cotton wick
- No break-in time – the wick is 100% tasteless
- Thicker fibres
- Dual fibres for the best wicking and heat resistance
The original Cotton Bacon is a dual grown fibre that has the optimal wicking. These large fibres are perfect for low-ohm builds with minimal dry hits.
- No cellulose fibers for better wicking
- It doesn’t have wick-like tastes
- No pesticides, chemicals, or natural oils
- Absorbent and heat resistant
Vapefly Firebolt Cotton
Made from organic Japan cotton, Vapefly Firebolt Cotton’s unique shape allows for quick absorption of e-juice for a pleasant vaping experience.
- Easy absorption
- Simple to shape
- Will not tear apart upon wicking
- Great choice for building coils
- Quick re-wicking time
- No need to measure and twist
- Organic material
Coil Master Dart King Cotton
Coil Master Dart King Cotton is made from organic Japan cotton with no chemical treatments.
- Fast absorption
- No chemical treatments
- Exceptional capillaries
- No break-in time
- 100% organic material
Linked blog articles:
- How to Make Vape Coils – 2022 Coil Building Guide
- Does Nicotine Affect The Flavor In E-liquids?
- Latest Devices at Vaperite
- Disposable Vapes VS Refillable Vapes, What’s Better?
- Vaping: The World of E-Liquid
- 7 tips to make your e-juice last longer
- Vape batteries safety tips – the do’s and don’ts
- How to choose the right nicotine strength?
- Best Vape Tanks for 2021