Cannabis can be used in many forms, and its increasing popularity has only brought about more fun ways to use the herb. One method of using cannabis is in the form of cannabis consumables – similar to edibles, but much more versatile and appropriate to use in other recipes and dishes. Cannabis consumables are easy to make, are very effective, and good to use in a variety of mixtures.
Cannabis-infused tea is a great alternative to edibles as it does not contain an excess of sugars and fats while still containing all the essential cannabinoids of the flower. If you usually smoke cannabis, infused tea can give your lungs a nice break.
If you already have cannabis-infused honey, cannabis butter, or cannabis tinctures, all you have to do is add some to your normal cup of tea and enjoy. If you don’t have any of these products, you can make your own!
List of ingredients
In order to make some cannabis-infused tea, you will need:
- 1 gram of finely ground cannabis
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or unsalted butter
- 4 cups of water
- A teabag of your choice
- Cheesecloth or a fine strainer
Optional ingredients for some added flavour include milk, cinnamon, honey, sugar, or anything you usually like to add to your tea.
Making your cannabis-infused tea
- Boil 4 cups of water. Once it reaches its boiling point, you can add your tablespoon of coconut oil or butter
- Once the oil or butter has fully dissolved, you can turn the temperature down to simmer and add your cannabis
- Let the mixture simmer for at least 15 minutes at the lowest possible temperature
- Get a bowl or teapot and strain your mixture into it. Make sure that the mixture is strained finely
- Add your tea bag to your teapot and add your usual preferred ingredients. Stir it well and let it steep for a few minutes
The tea will have a subtle flavour of cannabis, but you can add some milk and sugar to balance it out. It can take about half an hour to one hour for you to start feeling its effects.
This recipe makes enough for about three regular-sized tea cups. It is recommended to drink only one cup per day.
Weed butter is an inconspicuous and efficient way to consume cannabis. On top of that, it is easy to make and requires only a couple of ingredients and some patience. You can even use your weed butter in recipes for making other delicious edibles.
List of ingredients
To make your own weed butter, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1.5 cups of water
- 240 millilitres of melted butter, oil, or clarified butter
- 15 millilitres of decarboxylated cannabis
- Medium saucepan
- Cheesecloth or a fine metal strainer
Making your weed butter
- Add your water and butter to a medium saucepan on low heat
- Once the butter or oil has melted, add your decarboxylated cannabis
- Mix the butter or oil and cannabis together and cover it with a lid
- Leave the mixture to simmer for around 4 hours. To prevent your butter from burning, make sure to stir it every half hour. You can use a thermometer to make sure that the mixture does not exceed 80 °C
- After the 4-hour mark, you can strain the mixture into a container. Wait for the butter to cool down until it has reached room temperature. You can use the butter immediately or store it in a freezer. A glass jar that seals well works best and will allow you to keep your butter fresh for up to 6 months
This recipe amounts to around 30 mg of THC per tablespoon of butter. You will need to find the right dose yourself, but it is a good idea to use around ¼ teaspoon of the butter and note how you feel after about an hour. This is a good way for you to start off safely, and you can always increase the dose if you feel that the recommendation is not sufficient.
Cannabis-infused olive oil
Cannabis-infused olive oil is perfect for use in most recipes, giving you the ability to add a hint of cannabis to your favourite sweet and savoury meals. You can use cannabis-infused olive oil in the ratio that is required in your recipe.
List of ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make your own cannabis-infused olive oil:
- 3.5 grams of decarboxylated cannabis
- 3 tablespoons of distilled water
- 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
Making your cannabis-infused olive oil
- Grind your buds into smaller pieces and place them in a vacuum-sealable bag with distilled water and make sure it is completely sealed
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water. Heat the pan until it reaches 90 °C to 95 °C
- Drop the sealed bag into your saucepan and rotate the bag every 5 to 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes
- Fill a bowl with ice water and transfer the bag to preserve the terpenes within your cannabis
- Place your fine mesh strainer over a bowl and drop the cannabis from the bag into it to drain the liquid
- Throw your cannabis and olive oil into a small saucepan and set it to a medium heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes and stir every 5 minutes
- Remove your saucepan from the heat and let the mixture steep for at least 30 minutes
- Strain your mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a heat-proof and resealable container with an airtight lid
- Keep the mixture refrigerated and use it within 30 days
Cannabis consumables are easy to make, and once you get comfortable with the recipes and methods, you will be able to alter them in any way you would like. Making decarboxylated cannabis is probably the most important step to getting the perfect cannabis consumables, so if you have figured that out, you will be set to make some delicious cannabis-infused consumables to use for cooking and baking, adding it to meals, or even using it as is.
Linked blog articles:
- Common myths about cannabis edibles debunked
- Methods of consuming Cannabis
- The Cannabis Hangover – What it is and how to avoid it
- Cannabis Tolerance – What It is and How to Reset It
- The pros and cons of consuming cannabis every day
- Weed and red eyes – What is the relationship?
- CBD and Medical Conditions
- The History of Cannabis – Learn About the Origin of Marijuana